1. In accordance with the Code
of Virginia, Montgomery County schools
shall be operated with
students in attendance a minimum of one hundred eighty (180) teaching
days or nine hundred ninety (990) hours (540 hours for kindergarten) per school
year. Days on which schools are closed
due to inclement weather or emergencies shall be made up if
necessary to meet these requirements.
2. Ten (10) days or the equivalent shall be included for such activities as teaching, planning for the opening of school, evaluation, completing records and reports incident to the closing of each semester or school year, committee assignments, and conferences as are defined by the Montgomery County School Board.
3. Ten days or the equivalent shall be included for a continuation of activities named above, and/or other activities as determined by the School Board.
The first day of school shall be after Labor Day unless this requirement has been waived by the Virginia Board of Education pursuant to the Code of Virginia, §22:1-79.1.
School Day – Generally
School Board will determine the length of the workday for employees
time for opening and closing school shall be prescribed by the School Board
upon recommendation of the division superintendent, provided the length of the
regular school day shall not be less than five and one-half (5˝) nor more than
six and one-half (6˝) hours for grades 1-12 exclusive of time for mid-day
breaks and/or lunch. The
length of each kindergarten session shall not be less than three (3) hours and
shall meet the minimum class time as prescribed by the Virginia Board of
secondary school class schedule shall contain a minimum of one hundred forty
(140) clock hours for each unit of credit. When credit is awarded in less than
whole units, the credit awarded must be no greater than the fractional part of
the one hundred forty (140) hours of instruction provided. If
the required program length is maintained, the School Board may approve
occasional shortened days for staff development activities, conferences,
planning and other activities designed to improve the instructional program,
provided that no more than one (1) day in each five (5) day week may be
shortened to no less than four (4) hours.
The length of the school day shall be modified if appropriate per the Individualized Education Plan (IEP) for a special education student.
The Montgomery County School Board recognizes the need for establishing the length of the instructional day for all students in the division to provide consistency throughout the school system. The School Board also recognizes the need for daily school schedules to allow for differences in community and transportation needs within attendance zones. The School Board shall accept the standard provided by the Commonwealth of Virginia as minimal in nature and may extend student hours beyond state guidelines.
The division superintendent shall be authorized to establish daily time schedules for all schools within the system that shall be subject to School Board review at least on an annual basis. All students in similar grade classifications shall meet the established School Board directive on instructional day length at all schools in the division.
Montgomery County Public Schools recognizes the following exceptions to a full school day schedule that may be granted:
1. Students enrolled in cooperative work-study programs granting credit may be allowed a modified schedule.
2. Students with disabilities deemed appropriate by the IEP committee may be granted a modified schedule.
3. With principal approval, seniors attending schools with four-by-four block schedules who are meeting all graduation requirements may maintain a three-block schedule each semester.
4. With principal approval, a student attending a division alternative education program may be granted a modified schedule.
5. Any additional exceptions may be granted by the principal in cases of financial need, health, or other extenuating circumstances with division superintendent approval.
The instructional time shall be protected from interruptions and intrusions.
LEGAL REFERENCE: Code of Virginia, 1950, as amended §§ 22.1-19, 22.1-79.1, 22.1-98; Virginia Board of Education Regulations Governing Reduction of State Aid When Length of School Term Below One Hundred Eighty School Days, 8 VAC 20-520-10; and Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia, 8 VAC 20-131-10, et seq.
Adopted: April 2004